The safety and well-being of the community, residents, staff and property of the Mechanicville Housing Authority (MHA) are of the utmost importance. This philosophy is backed by a strong and committed consensus among residents, police, city government, local businesses, citizens and Management.
The MHA maintains strict adherence to all management policies and strategies designed for ensuring the continued safety, protection and well-being of residents residing at its two sites.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Safety and Crime Prevention Plan which incorporates safety measures on a development-by-development basis to ensure the safety of the residents residing at John S. Moore Homes and Davenport Estates. The Authority’s Safety and Crime Prevention Plan has been established in consultation with the Mechanicville Police Department. The Police Department is an active participant in implementing the various elements of the plan including maintaining a system for cooperating with the MHA in tracking incidents, disturbances and crime-related problems.
- Emergency Preparedness Action Plan to help ensure the highest level of safety is provided for all.
- Technology investment and improvements in Video Surveillance Cameras.
- Mandatory criminal history background and sex offender searches on all applicants 18 years of age or older in order to screen out and deny admission to specific applicants who have a history of criminal activity, drug and alcohol abuse.
- Strict adherence to Admissions and Lease Enforcement Policies.
- Adoption of the President’s and Congress’s “One Strike and You’re Out” Policy. Residents who engage in drug and other criminal activity face certain and swift termination of lease proceedings and are permanently barred from visiting the sites. This includes holding residents accountable for the action(s) of their guest(s).
- Fire safety planning and prevention awareness, vacant unit policy, occupied unit conservation techniques, accident/incident investigation policy are just some of the additional tools utilized by Management and staff to ensure a safe, healthy living environment to the greatest extent possible.