Applicant FAQ’s

The following are common questions many of our applicants have. If you have any questions not listed below, please feel free to give us a call, email us or go to our contact page and fill out the form.

How old must I be to apply for housing assistance?
You must be at least 18 years or older, or an emancipated minor to be eligible to apply for housing assistance. An emancipated minor is a child who has been granted the status of adulthood by a court order or other formal arrangement. In the United States, there are three main ways for a teenager to become emancipated and they are: Court Petition, Marriage or Military Service.

Apply through our Applicant Portal on our Website. You may also contact us by phone and request that we mail an application to you or personally apply at our office for a pre- application.

Is there a maximum income that would make me ineligible to apply?
Yes, income limits are published and revised annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The income for admission varies based on the county or metropolitan area, so you may be eligible in one area and not the other. Many times applicants think they are above the income limits but find out they are eligible. Do not include your savings in this number, only the interest you receive. To be safe, call us and let us verify your income.

FY 2023 Income Limits Summary

Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY MSA 1 Person 2 Person 3 Person 4 Person 5 Person 6 Person 7 Person 8 Person
30% of Median – Extremely Low Income 23,600 26,950 30,300 33,650 36,350 40,280 45,420 50,560
50% of Median -Very Low Income 39,300 44,900 50,500 56,100 60,600 65,100 69,600 74,100

NOTE: Saratoga County is part of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY MSA.

Is there a waiting list?
Yes, there is a waiting list. The length of time varies, and is subject to local preferences of the MHA. Family size also effects the length of time you are on the waiting list. Therefore we would encourage you to submit an Pre-Application as soon as possible. You will then receive a letter stating your name is on our list. Keep this letter; it verifies our receipt of your application. Each year we send out a letter asking if you still want your name on our list. You must respond within the proper time. Tell the MHA if you change your address or telephone number.

How can I check the status of my Pre-Application?
Applicants can check the status of their application through our Applicant portal of our Website or contact our office directly. You must register with the Applicant Portal to access your application status.

Can I update my Pre-Application from the Applicant Portal?
Yes, you can update your information related to your application by using the Applicant Portal. Information such as address, phone numbers, email address and reason for applying can be updated from the Applicant Portal.

If I have money in a CD or savings account, am I still eligible?
Yes. We calculate only the interest as income as long as it does not go over the maximum rent.

Can I have Pets?
Yes. You are permitted to have up two pets (under 25 lbs.) and subject to the MHA Pet Policy which is part of the Dwelling Lease Agreement.

Can I be on the waiting list for John S. Moore Homes, Davenport Estates and the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program at the same time?
Yes, you can apply for all three waiting list through one Pre-Application.

Do I need to have children living in my household to be eligible to apply for housing assistance?
No, single adults are eligible to apply for housing assistance.

Does MHA include assets as income when determining eligibility for public housing?
The market value of the asset will not be included as income, but the income yield from the asset such as interests or dividends will be included.

What changes should I report to MHA after I apply for Housing Assistance?
Any change related to your contact information, family composition or income should be reported by using the Applicant Portal or contacting are office directly and submit the changes in writing. If you have any questions, you may contact our Admissions Office at 518-664-9897 Ext. 2.

How much will my rent be?
Your rent will generally be based on 30% of your household’s anticipated gross annual income less deductions. HUD regulations allow deductions of $480 for each dependent; $400 for elderly family, or a person with a disability; and plus medical deductions for households headed by an elderly person or person with disabilities.

What utilities are included?
If you rent at a development or an apartment that does not include a specific utility or utilities, you will be responsible for paying for utilities directly. However, all participants receive a Utility Allowance for resident paid utilities that will be deducted from your monthly rent.

The MHA provides the following utilities:

  • John S. Moore Homes: heat and hot water

The resident agrees to pay for the following utilities:

  • John S. Moore Homes: electricity
  • Davenport Estates: electricity & natural gas

Does MHA have apartments for people with disabilities?
Yes, MHA has accessible apartments designed for people with mobility disabilities.

Are the apartments furnished?
No. They all have a range and refrigerator. Some have hardwood floors, but none come furnished.

Is there a bus stop for children?
A School bus picks up children at John S. Moore Homes and Davenport Estates.

What schools are located nearby?
Mechanicville City School District, Elementary School, Junior/Senior High School, Augustine Classical Academy.

Is it a nice neighborhood?
Mechanicville is a low crime area. We are very proud of our City. It is a community rich in history and has an excellent record of great living and a great place to raise your children.

How much is the security deposit?
The security deposit is equal to one month gross rent or $200.00 whichever is greater.

Is there a parking lot or on-street parking?
Yes, the complexes do have parking lots, where tenants and their visitors can park in free of charge; however, on-street parking is available at all the complexes.